Schaff Triangle Piano Trucks

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:56:21 -0800

Tommy:

            I don't know if I follow all that you wrote.  The 5 sided
plate has 3 holes in it, right?  Each leg bolts into a hole.  I don't
think it makes any difference which leg or which hole goes where, as
long as the piano rolls and doesn't fall off.  I'd make sure there's
enough of the wheel/iron plate sticking into the sleeved part for the
clamping screw to bite into.  On the piano trucks I've installed, the 5
sided plates are never just where I might like them to be, just behind
the lyre.  Sounds like yours is ok.

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Bigeartb@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2002 5:26 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Schaff Triangle Piano Trucks

List;
     Installed my first set of these triangle dollies for a Yamaha Grand
Piano---6'1"
No instructions....Therefore bolted two "five sided plates together with
the three extensions....one extenstion bolted in the center of the plate
and the other two bolted off center to each side of the plate. I never
could get the thing where it looked centered under the piano. When the
extensions were the same distance from the center 5 sided plate the
thing was off center of the piano too much toward the curved side. I
finally adjusted the center plate so it was as close to the center of
the keybed and adjusted the extensions to different lengths to fit the
legs and then bolted it all tight. My questions---I assumed the
extension bolted in the center of the plate went to the back leg and the
other two to each of the front legs. I wondered if the five sided plate
that the extensions bolted too must twist either clockwise or counter
clockwise to center the thing up. Did I give enought info for you to
determine if I installed this thing correctly. It rolls....it fits each
leg! ..and the center plate is resting just behind the center of the key
bed....and the longest extension is to the back leg...I guess my main
concern is that it's balanced correctly. I'm not sure it can be
installed "umbalanced" I going to call Schaff Monday but I am concerned
I used good judgement without directions. Thank you for your help and
"happy Thanksgiving"

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.