6:3 bass octaves---why?

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:52:55 EST

OK.  I can tune a 6:3 octave in the bass.  But why?  Musically speaking, why
a 6:3 octave?  Why would we choose to make sure that THOSE two partials are
in tune?  Why wouldn't the single or double octave be more important in
musical terms?

Musically speaking, why wouldn't the 2:1 octave rule throughout?  I could
even see the musical rationale for a 4:2 octave in the bass, making sure that
the the double octave is clean, but why make the octave + 5th be the
determining factor in that area of the piano?

When I think about this as a musician, it doesn't add up to me.

I do it.  But I don't know why...

Straighten me out,

Tom S