Choosing to Condemn

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 06:57:01 -0600

Folks,

At 07:24 11/27/2002 -0500, Clyde wrote:
>Friends,
>
>I am certainly not a pianist.  I agree that being able to play well would
>be an asset.  On the other hand, for us non-pianists, what we really need
>is what I will call deep education and experience.

Why should I be a pianist?  It might be nice, but...
I am not a pianist, but I can play the piano a bit - usually I say that i
play _at_ the piano.

I can feel when the keys are not level or the action is malfunctioning, see
when things aren't lining up, hear more than I need to and can do
repetitions as fast as any concert pianist.

When people are surprised at my playing ability, I usually liken myself to
a race car mechanic.  I can drive the car around the track, but my job is
to prepare that car for the professional driver.  Likewise, my job as a
piano technician is to prepare the piano for the artist in such a manner
that the music in the artist flows through the piano unimpeded.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)

-The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.