Choosing to Condemn

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:11:34 -0500

Comments below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: <kam544@gbronline.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: Choosing to Condemn

> >... I don't even play, ... I don't like 15 year old Kimball=20
> >consoles. But gosh, they play and sound like a dream compared to the=20
> >old beaters. Think also about how discouraging it would be to play=20
> >the old beater every day - especially for the youngster taking=20
> >lessons.
> >
> >Well, probably more than my 2 cents worth.
> >
> >Terry Farrell
>=20
> Terry,
>=20
> To qualify my following comments, I am not speaking of basket cases=20
> or derelict pianos, but pianos in reasonable working order needing=20
> some attention.
>=20
> While I liked some of your ideas in making determinations, in my mind=20
> your comments above here tend to negate one's ability to even=20
> consider make such decisions. Maybe you didn't mean to say that, but=20
> to not play the piano seems to negate one's ability to know if one=20
> type of piano plays better than another.

If I am not mistaken, wasn't there a PTG survey done a few years back =
that reported that 40% of PTG members do not play piano? I could be =
wrong, but I think I heard that. Anyone? If true, I'd hate to think that =
40% of techs can't tell if one piano plays well and another plays =
poorly.
=20
> Such a generalized statement as, "... 15 year old Kimball consoles=20
> play and sound like a dream compared to old beaters." seems kind of=20
> an unrealistic, especially since you, yourself, have qualified you=20
> don't even play.

Only having been in this business for 4 years now, I am certainly still =
on the steep end of the learning curve. And I definitely do not play =
piano. I could not even play Jingle Bells (well, maybe after practicing =
a few hours). I took organ lessons when I was a kid. But I have been =
banging on pianos for 4 years - I can run up and down the keyboard doing =
various scales and such - I think you get a feel for the keys after a =
while. I think my ability (and likely most others with a similar =
background) to distinguish between a good concert prep on a good piano =
and a fair concert prep on the same piano is probably close to =
non-existent. And I would say a large part of that is because I am not a =
good player. But my ability to distinguish between and make =
recommendations regarding a very good condition 15 year old console and =
a typically worn out 85 year old upright - well, let's just say it ain't =
rocket science.

I think it is always an asset to be able to play piano for the tech. But =
I have met quite a few very accomplished techs that do not play. I think =
it can be a bit like being blind - you learn other ways to do or feel =
the same thing.

Also, I think the area of piano technology one specializes in weighs in =
on the benefits of playing. Again, playing will always be an asset. But =
I suspect playing would be more important to the concert tech than to =
the rebuilder.
=20
> In my opinion learning to play the piano to some degree is a must to=20
> increase one's awareness concerning such matters as to advising what=20
> someone else should do in their life with their piano needs.
>=20
> There are some older uprights that play and sound just fine, and it=20
> would be fool hardy to replace them unnecessarily just because they=20
> might need some repairs, with a smaller entry level type console that=20
> can in some situations fall well short of the mark.

Absolutely. That's why I specified "old beaters". I tuned a 1908 Pfiefer =
upright this morning and a 1971 S&S M (original owner) this afternoon. =
In every category, the upright would blow the bushings off the Steinway. =
(It was also the absolute nicest old upright I have ever seen - =
condition was that of a well cared for 20 year old quality piano). And I =
did "condemn" a 1960 Story & Clark console this morning. Someone poured =
something on the tuning pins and string felt that made all the string =
super rusty. About 25% of the strings were already broke and the tuning =
pins were loose. Time this console met its maker. I didn't even have to =
play this one.

> Also, there are numerous youngsters that are learning every day on=20
> "old beaters", that are incredible players and just love playing what=20
> they have, and would be sorely disappointed and discouraged with a=20
> small console.

Yes, and I'm sure somewhere there is a Nobel Peace Prize winner that =
grew up in poverty in an abusive home, bla, bla, bla. Just my opinion =
then, but any very good condition console will be better to play than an =
old beater upright with bobbling hammers, tubby bass strings, zinging =
dampers (if they work at all), super inconsistent tone from note to =
note, etc. That's all I'm trying to say. Nothing too earth shattering =
here I should think.

> There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to the needs of=20
> individual families and their pianos. Evaluation of such things is a=20
> tender mercy.

Absolutely.