Choosing to Condemn

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:17:45 -0600

>... I don't even play, ... I don't like 15 year old Kimball
>consoles. But gosh, they play and sound like a dream compared to the
>old beaters. Think also about how discouraging it would be to play
>the old beater every day - especially for the youngster taking
>lessons.
>
>Well, probably more than my 2 cents worth.
>
>Terry Farrell

Terry,

To qualify my following comments, I am not speaking of basket cases
or derelict pianos, but pianos in reasonable working order needing
some attention.

While I liked some of your ideas in making determinations, in my mind
your comments above here tend to negate one's ability to even
consider make such decisions. Maybe you didn't mean to say that, but
to not play the piano seems to negate one's ability to know if one
type of piano plays better than another.

Such a generalized statement as, "... 15 year old Kimball consoles
play and sound like a dream compared to old beaters." seems kind of
an unrealistic, especially since you, yourself, have qualified you
don't even play.

In my opinion learning to play the piano to some degree is a must to
increase one's awareness concerning such matters as to advising what
someone else should do in their life with their piano needs.

There are some older uprights that play and sound just fine, and it
would be fool hardy to replace them unnecessarily just because they
might need some repairs, with a smaller entry level type console that
can in some situations fall well short of the mark.

Also, there are numerous youngsters that are learning every day on
"old beaters", that are incredible players and just love playing what
they have, and would be sorely disappointed and discouraged with a
small console.

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to the needs of
individual families and their pianos. Evaluation of such things is a
tender mercy.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731