Of Miracles and Duplex's

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:30:37 -0500

At 9:11 AM +0100 11/25/02, Isaac OLEG wrote:
>I'd say there is energy delivered too at the bottoming of the key
>stroke.

I guess what you're referring to, Oleg and Ric'o'the'North, is the
shock to the keybed as the key slams down on the FR punching, which
eventually finds its way to the string and board. I tried it this
afternoon with a lively little Baldwin M (1993). I actually didn't
remove the hammer shank, I  simply held it up *close* to the string,
holding the damper up with the sostenuto. Yes, there is a surge of
white noise (like the tail end of a gong's display) clearly audible
when the sustain pedal leaves all the strings open. But with just the
one damper up, barely noticeable. I got comparable results slapping
the keybed with the underside of my hand rather than using the keys.

At 1:21 PM +0100 11/25/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Just how it adds (?) to the sound of the intsrument, sustain time,

Interesting experiment. It's great to be reminded of details like this.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
     ............mental graffitti