S&S D Duplex

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 02:31:35 +1100

>. . . a . . quote from Junghann in this lecture that goes to this
>speaker analogy. He says...
>

><< A good soundboard should have similiar resonance characteristics
>over the entire range from 27 to 6000 Hz.

And while C88 has a non-stretched frequency of 4186 herz for the
standard Homo sapiens piano, Mr Janghann's piano is specially built
for dogdom. I should like to hear a piece of spruce doing its thing
at 6000.

>This would result in a panel with similar characteristics to that of
>a loudspeaker membrane.

Like the hi-fi system which has one speaker, should be a real good
case of 'telephone tone', the 'floppy sound board syndrome' or the
'500 tweeters sound board panel' with all treble and no bass. The
perfect piano tone for the profoundly deaf. No, I don't think I share
Mr Junghann's enthusiasm for such a sound board.

The sound board should be very different in the bass and treble
sections. The bass should move freely with a larger amplitude
effectively to produce the fundamental tone of the low bass notes,
while the upper treble needs to be relatively much stiffer to allow
for something of a sustaining quality to persist in the treble. List
subscribers have been moaning about the over-flexible second top
treble of typical Steinways and their killer octave. It is the
excessive flexibility of the second top which is killing the tone.
Create a more rigid zone and the sound will pick up. No I don't share
Mr Junghann's view at all.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY