Belly rail crown - Why???

Mon, 25 Nov 2002 00:57:05 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 24, 2002 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: Belly rail crown - Why???

> >       At any rate the best judge of that kind of subject determination
in
> > my mind woud be the guys in the factory who were so familiar with the
> > old design compared to the new one that there opinion would carry some
> > real weight
>
> I've always had a problem with this thinking. When would the guys in the
> factory working with the old ways ever get any experience with new ways to
> refine their opinions? What you will most likely get here is "This is the
> way we've always done it, so this way is best." And isn't that what we
> hear, for the most part?

While working at Baldwin I was frequently amazed and appalled at how little
folk at all levels of the company hierarchy knew about the design and
construction of competitive products. Even competitive products in current
production. Not to mention those built 20 or 50 or 70 years earlier. Common
mistakes made and solved by other companies in years past were fairly
constantly being made. All needing to be worked on and 'solved' all over
again. Nothing I have seen recently gives me any hope that things are much
different at other companies today.

Del