Electronic Sustain Timer II (was Re: S&S D Duplex)

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:43:49 -0500

Hi Bill,

> I'm sure we'll get it, but not likely from Dan. I think Sarah Fox is
> going to be the one to do it. The Wissner concert grand (oh, won't
> somebody please just draw her a new string scale...). Her background
> in acoustics, and her intense curiosity. Then of course, there's Dan
> Swifts proposal of the gate measurer. Like we say down at the
> precinct, ..got the motive, the means and the opportunity.

I now actually have a much better/easier idea than an electonic timer.  (I'm
not really set up with the necessary electronic testing equipment anymore.)
I'm in the process of learning C++ and should soon be able to just program
the silly thing.  I developed a wonderful measure of running RMS amplitude
for my dissertation, and I could employ that measure in the program.  Then
anyone would be able to run it.  Just record a .wav file (no .mp3 or other
compressed formats, please) and process it with the program.  Simple to
write.  Simple to use.  Almost everyone has the necessary equipment.

Regarding the Wissner, I'm just going to scale to Steinway D specs.  The
problem right now is time.  I'm back-logged until after the holidays.
Hopefully I'll have some command of C++ by then, though.  In all likelihood
I'll have a C++ program before I have the new strings and hammers on the
piano.  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah