tuning pins don't hold (was: (no subject))

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:21:45 -0600

>... I've also read some discussion of tightening pins with CA glue
>and would appreciate advice on how and when to do that, and what
>thickness of CA glue to use.
>--- CAROLYN BOHN, cbohn1@mindspring.com

If the use of CA is in order, it would be the thin variety. However,
it's a judgement call whether this particular piano is a candidate
for CA treatment.

And if you have no prior experience with such a thing, then it
becomes totally experimental for you to find out if the loose tuning
pins can be repaired, whether by the aplication of pin tightner, or
tapping the pins, or applying thin CA glue, or replacement with
oversized tuning pins, or shimming the existing tuning pins, or ....

It's even possible the pin block is not in a suitable condition for
any of these repairs and would need replacement. And since you don't
want to pile up big charges for this customer, that seems an unlikely
direction.

Ideally, having someone who has already been down this road would be
the best bet to help you and this person make the call, and forgo
maybe doing something that can't be undone.

The ball is in your court. Good luck with your decision.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild