S&S D Duplex

Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:36:27 +0100

Hi Del...

I think I understand what you mean here. Basically you are
saying that if you use flat ribs, whatever crown you end up
with is more or less a measure of how much internal
compression the panel is under. Otherwise there would have
to be a difference between flat ribbed / flat cauled and
flat ribbed / curved cauled.... or what ?

So please indulge me for a bit so'st I can perhaps get this
right.. all this goes to the flat rib / dished caul variant
of Compression crowning. Follow along and tell me where / if
I hop off the wagon.

     --If you start off with just a panel in a dished
     caul and push it down... then you have a panel
     thats tensioned on its outside and compressed on
     its inside.

     --Push in a few ribs and the sides of the ribs
     that meet the panel are tensioned.

     --If panel and ribs are glued thus and allowed to
     dry, all stays unchanged as long as the thing is
     in the caul. But when you take it out then the
     whole thing wants to try and return to its flat
     state but cant. The compressed underside of the
     panel and the tensed sides of the ribs work
     against each other being glued tight as it were.

     --What does happen tho is that it returns about
     half way and you have some crown already before
     taking on any humidity, and the inside of the
     panel is less compressed then it was in the caul,
     the outside less tense, and the ribs less less
     tense.

Let the panel take on humidity..

     --and the compression on the underside of the
     panel increases, the tension on the ribs
     increases...

     --and the top side of the panel... hmmm.. its
     still under some degree of tension if I am correct
     up to this point. So at some point enough humdity
     will put the top side under compression.

Ok... so clear this one up for me please.

Thanks.. RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.