S&S D Duplex

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 14:12:39 -0500

At 10:52 AM -0500 11/24/02, Duplexdan@aol.com wrote:
>  If  this is subject important enough to you and you can not find this
>catalogue , I'll be glad to try and dig it out of my records.

Dan, at this point I'm not sure who still considers this an important
subject, especially considering that after repeated request for
hard-fact data (which you say you have) you repeatedly fall back on
historical citations (circumstantial evidence at best), and goading
("duplexophobes").

If there are people still interested in this thread, may be the
better way to advance their knowledge might be to post the rear
duplex locations for a common Steinway scale, say the M. I measured
the end notes of a Steinway M in a home Friday afternoon:

Note #	SL	RDL	Interval	SL/RDL	Nearest Whole RDL
D55	11.36"	2.77"	m9	4.10	2.84"
G71	5.94	1.76	P11	3.55	1.48
G#72	4.56	1.49	P11	3.06	1.52
88	2.02	0.98	m9	2.06	1.01

The intervals (ie., between SL and RDL) were consistent running a few
notes inwards from each end point.
		I was quite happy with the way the top two section of
this piano sounded.

At 7:21 PM -0500 11/17/02, Bill Ballard wrote:
>I'd be glad to. There's a Steinert B (sister of the Steinway M),
>which I restrung last year. I of course scratched individual aliquot
>locations onto the original plate finish, and returned to aliquots
>to their original place. Whereupon they were visually badly out of
>line. I cut a cross-section of the aliquots, tilted to 20º into a
>strip of brass. I used that tool (which unfortunately doesn't
>straddle the wire as yours does) to even up the curves. I still have
>the tool.

<snip>

>What would you suggest for harmonic relationships between to
>speaking and rear duplex lengths on this Steinway M copy? (And I
>realize, what would you care to donate in this situation?)

Dan, at this point there may be a dozen of us on this list who are
willing to try tuning a RDL (either by sliding duplexes or with a
tuning hammer). This may be your remaining chance of convincing any
of us. So why don't you post the recommended tuning (or even
recommended RDLs) for the common Steinway M, (and maybe throw the
info for a Steinway D, considering that Sarah's Wissner is as much a
copy of the D as my Steinert is of the M).

That is, unless you think your current line of argument is working
for you. But I wouldn't put it off. People are losing interest in the
subject.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music