Piano Construction Origins, was: Butt-Jointed Ribs

Thomas A. Sheehan tsheehan@nyc.rr.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:05:23 -0500

Dear Terry,

It's my impression (from Wolfensohn's "A Treatise on the Art of Piano
Building" ?) that many woodworkers from boat building came over to piano
building beginning in c. 1850s. They had a lot of knowledge of joining wood,
cutting it, judging its quality, being able to take precise measurements,
etc., etc.). The ultimate in transportable skills. The piano industry was
growing and would have been a very attractive industry to be involved with.
Naturally, they brought their own "technobabble" with them.

Sincerely yours,

Tom Sheehan, RPT
NYC Chapter

PS. I have immensely enjoyed and benefited from your numerous postings to
this list. I don't know how you find the time to be so active on pianotech,
when you are obviously busy in running and developing a successful business.
Thank you for all your efforts for piano technicians, and for the industry
in general through your participation on pianotech.

TS