Piano Construction Origins, was: Butt-Jointed Ribs

Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:20:11 +0100

Holy Pea Pods Batman... the Compression Crowned Dinghy !

So whos idea whar it to turns it upsides'n downwards o' stretch strings across
its belly then matey ?

argh argh argh..

curious ponderer.

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> The defining moment came when a daring and innovative young shipwright's
> apprentice built a small boat (against the better judgement of his boss)
> using edge joined planking, thoroughly dried in a large kiln, and glued on
> one side to thin flat ribs with a crowned keel on the opposite side,
> perpendicular to the ribs. As the evening fog crept in, the assembly curved
> into a rather convincing hull shape, to the accompaniment of much
> celebration all around. When they tested it in the bay the next morning,
> the thing continued curling until the gunwales met and it rolled over,
> filling with water, and went straight to the bottom with it's crew, who
> were unable to escape the rough equivalent of a large pea pod full of water.
>
> The newly unemployed apprentice shortly found work at a nearby piano
> factory where his ideas were better received, and no lives were lost in the
> implementation.
>
> To this day, there remains no documented instance of loss of life in the
> utilization of this method of constructing piano soundboards, though the
> cumulative aggravation backlog continues to mount.
>
> At any rate, that's the way I heard it.

--Ron N

Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.