S&S D Duplex

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:52:21 EST

In a message dated 11/23/02 2:15:20 PM Central Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

> Natural crown is an older English (British) term which seems to rougly
> equate your term Compresson Crowning. Junghanns text discerns between
> straight ribs on a flat panel, vs a panel pressed into a dished caul. In
> both cases we are talking about a thoroughly dried board, ribs across the
> grain. And in both cases crown is achieved by allowing the finished glued
> assembly to take on moisture. Where he notes differences are

Hmmm, seems to me the term "natural crown" would fit straight ribs on a flat
panel with moisture being the catalist to crown much better than mechanically
forcing crown with a curved caul.  I would be interested in how they came up
with it.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW