OT? How our brains react to music.

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:05:42 -0500

Hi all,

This is really interesting, but not too surprising... except...

<<During the moments of musical euphoria, their cranial blood streamed to
the
parts of the brain which previous, independent studies had isolated as the
places where sex, chocolate, champagne or cocaine can produce ecstasy. In
effect, 10 different cortex clusters burst into neural fireworks, creating
the familiar spine-tingling chills of pleasure. Equally intriguing, the
blood flowed away from brain cells associated with depression and fear.>>

Cool!  A diversion, of blood flow, by the way, does not indicate the
starvation of these areas of oxygen and nutrients.  Rather, it indicates
that the brain areas are less metabolically active.  (Blood flow increases
in proportion to demand.)

If I remember correctly (and I'm trying to remember where I put that paper),
decreased prefrontal lobe activity is associated with the occurrence of
mystical experiences or more profound states of mind.  (I am inferring from
this article that prefrontal activity is diminished during intense musical
experiences, as well.)  Perhaps these experiences share a common thread.
Perhaps the logical sequencing activity of the prefrontal areas is
temporarily abandoned in the "flow" of the experience.  Cool!

By the way, whoever said that music isn't addictive?  I have a habit that
consumes lots of my time and many thousands of my dollars.  In fact it's
hard for me to keep a clear head without some music playing somewhere.  How
do we define addiction anyway?  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah