Butt-Jointed Ribs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:37:14 -0500

I had written:
> > Has anyone tried this? Is a thicker rib required to compensate for any
> weakness induced by the multi-segmented laminations? And if so, would
> scarfing the lamination butt joint effectively eliminate that weakness? What
> ratio of scarf?

Del responded:
> Yes. No. Ideally, the slope of the scarf should be between 8:1 and 12:1
> (Come on, Terry, you know about wooden boat -- you should know this!)

Well yes, but that is commonly used on either a hull plank that is a single thickness, or perhaps a spar that is made up of two halves. Here we are talking about a laminated product. My thinking (guessing) is that burying the a lamination butt joint within several laminations might just make it unnoticeable.  And if it were noticable, maybe just a low ratio scarf would take care of it (make it unnoticable).

Del, said further:
> In practice we have used something closer to 4:1 with
> no problems and less waste. We do not use scarfed wood generally -- we don't
> need to -- and I would not want to use it next to the soundboard in any case...

You have used it with a 4:1 scarf where? You say you would not want to use it next to the soundboard - as in scarfing or butt jointing a lamination on a rib? Just curious.

Terry Farrell