graphite and Protec

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:29:50 -0600

>Ron,
>
>What DAG (is it grease or liquid) use propylene glycol ? Winslip
>(England) or what is the brand.

DAG 154 is available from Schaff Piano Supply, and elsewhere(?). It's a
brush on liquid graphite suspension for bridge caps, jacks, spring grooves
and the like. No grease. When dry, it burnishes to a nice shine. Nice stuff.

>I was believing that the graphite solution (one of the one's I've seen
>anyway) had Arabian gum in it as a binder, and that gives that shiny
>look to the layer when dry.

That's what I had assumed until Steve Grattan posted this:

>Acheson DAG154 contains:
>ISOPROPANOL
>GRAPHITE
>N-BUTYL ALCOHOL
>HEXYLENE GLYCOL
>PROPYLENE GLYCOL METHYL ETHER
>
>This product is only made in Port Huron, Michigan at the Acheson
>Colloids plant.  It must be used with ventilation and care as it is an
>explosion hazard, can cause dizziness, irritation, nausea etc., etc.,
>etc.
>
>This information is directly off their MSDS sheet from a friend in R&D
>in the lab.
>
>Steve Grattan
>lostchordclinic@ameritech.net

>Propylene glycol is anti freeze product is not it ?

I've lost track. Ethelene Glycol is, I think, and Polyethelene Glycol (PEG)
is used for soaking green wood for working it without it drying out and
splitting. I could do that Google search I'm always suggesting to others,
but it's not that pressing.

Ron N