graphite and Protec

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:28:37 EST

In a message dated 22/11/02 1:40:14 PM, sarah@gendernet.org writes:

<<"I was advised by one person to consider massaging talc into the buckskin.

never really considered talc as a lubricant.  Graphite or teflon would make

more sense to me.  Any thoughts regarding talc??  Have you heard of anyone

else doing this??">>

 Sarah;
 Although Talc does have some lubricity I don't think that it should be used
on knuckles at all. Talc has a high rate of moisture absorption and tends to
'cake' or 'solidify' under pressure and in the prescence of moisture as well
as having other short comings...though the mileage of others may vary :-)

 Neither Graphite or Teflon have as high a rate of moisture absorption as
talc and both have superior lubricity. Graphite is a mite more hygroscopic
than is teflon which has practically no tendency to pick up moisture. It is
the binder in a given graphite formulation that is the absorbing agent rather
than the graphite itself....I think?

<<"Also, how light a swipe of graphite is "light."  Can this be overdone?">>

 Yes it can be overdone. Graphite will build upon itself and tend to coalesce
over time if there is sufficient present to do so.  When I say "lite
swipe".....just picture the little fibers/hairs on the buckskin as being
colored but not the barrel of the knuckle itself.
(typically one or two swipes each direction across the face of the knuckle)

When used with teflon I think the graphite provides lubricity as well as a
binding for the teflon that the teflon by itself does not have. Whatever the
mechanical goings on I have found that the combination of the two gives a
much better feel as well as being much longer lasting than either by itself.
 This applies to a stick graphite and micro fine teflon powder. I would never
use any
non- evaporitive liquid/greasy based formulation, i.e., DAG, VJ lube, etc.
for carrying anything on the knuckles..............
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)