S&S D Duplex

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:49:04 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac OLEG" <oleg-i@wanadoo.fr>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 22, 2002 10:36 AM
Subject: RE: S&S D Duplex

> Ron,
>
> Is not it more or less a back post problem , that allows the
> soundboard to be less stiff in there , is not one missing under the
> killer zone ?
>
> Tell that because of the use I've seen of an metal apparatus to
> reinforce the linkage there .
>
> Regards.
>
> Isaac OLEG

Isaac,

Yes the lack of a bellybrace ('back posts' are usually reserved for
uprights) in the region does contribute to the problem. It allows the
bellyrail to rotate slightly in response to the motion of the soundboard.
Especially in the case of a rather lightly built bellyrail such as Steinway
uses. But the main problem is the soundboard design and the process by which
it is made -- i.e., compression crowning.

Del