graphite and Protec

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:34:07 +0100

Jim,

The main problem is of the use of graphite on an action where the
friction is high between whippen, knuckle and jack (heavy hammer,
large knuckle, lower letoff moment). If then, the friction burnish the
leather and induce a bad feel.
mixing Teflon and graphite, I would be cautious of the dirt.
Anyway good graphite stick as the one from Renner is slick but a bit
greasy my guess.

graphite pencil is too strong lube for the knuckles in a good
configuration, nothing works ass well, or Teflon, when friction begin
to be too high, we may try to found the source, as no lube will get
rid of that.

The pianist (classical one anyway), need some friction at the letoff
moment , not only springs resistance (while not not much), for a
better control on the tone, and graphite is lessening it too much
B.M.H.O., but yes , some may like the feeling, I promise it does not
work for squeaks anyway, and graphite knuckles tend to became
burnished, even worse feeling (lack of control, depending of the
action configuration at let off)
Then the way the pianist play have to change if he wants to keep
enough tactile feedback, but that is perfect for Boogie Woogie !

Alcohol spray may content some gummy substance too, so the graphite
can stick on the wood , never find that alcohol mix to be very
efficient.
I just realize that what you call DAG is a grease. Is not it ?
Grease on the knuckles, I never seen , bet I am lucky .

Respectfully Regards (here is the subject for another thread)

I, promise I will work on my English formulas to finish the posts.

Isaac OLEG