Etiquette in the Customer's Home

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:44:52 -0800

I'm often amazed at how little awareness people have for interference =
noises.  I would ask him/her to stop them all before I came over.  Since =
they're not in sinc anyway, who cares.  I ask my customers with birds to =
remove them from the room before I start and don't mind reminding people =
to be turn off various appliances, running water, loud conversations =
etc.,  that they seem oblivious to.  Today, while I was tuning, I had =
somebody come up to me with their 5 hp Hoover and ask if I minded if =
they vacuumed while I tuned--in the same room, no less.  I said fine as =
long as they didn't mind me skipping the notes I would have tuned while =
they were running it.  They decided to wait. =20

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: November 21, 2002 8:18 PM
  Subject: Etiquette in the Customer's Home

  Situation: Customer collects clocks. Regulators. Cuckoos. Mantels. =
Grandmothers and Grandfathers. Novelty Clocks. All kinda clocks...tick, =
ticka, tickety, tickaty, bong, chime, gong, wang, ding, ticka, tick ... =
None in sync with any other and all slightly off from each other as they =
strike the quarter hours ... Bbang bbongong bbbing boonng....

  Question: Would it be "rude" or, in some other way, socially =
unacceptable to take my 2 1/2 pound stringing sledge and start adjusting =
these little treasures?

  Alan Barnard
  Next Time I'll Check The Gas Gauge Before Driving to Cabool from =
Salem, MO=20