S&S D Duplex -- Long & Meandering

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 07:41:29 -0500

The exchange was:

Dan wrote:
> ....when all other features such as=20
> strings, hammers, board, action tuning are correct but the duplex is =
out of=20
> tune, by tuning the duplex the sustain increases from 100 to 300%. =
That is a=20
> tone that lasts 3 to 4 seconds after tuning the duplex scale will last =
from 6=20
> to fifteen seconds.

If the tone only lasts 3 to 4 seconds, what kind of piano is this that =
all other features such as strings, hammers, board, action and tuning =
are correct? Sounds like something is broke to me.

Terry Farrell

What appears inconsistent here follows: The subject piano is said to =
have good strings, good hammers, a good soundboard, a good action, and a =
good tuning - and I think it is fair to say that the suggestion here is =
that the piano is a good piano, in good shape, and nothing is wrong with =
it. My comment was meant to suggest that if the piano only has 3 to 4 =
second sustain time, that there is in fact something wrong with the =
piano - in fact it may be poorly designed, or lacks appropriate =
downbearing, has a collapsed soundboard - or perhaps it is the presence =
of the rear duplex shiny thingees that is choking the sustain?

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20