S&S D Duplex -- Long & Meandering

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:27:48 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> -No, the two things I take issue with you over are, first, your claim that
> switching from the tuned backscale to the vertical hitch arrangement somehow
> caused the demise of the Baldwin company. This claim has no basis in fact
> and, at best, is  misleading. The reasons for the Baldwin company's demise
> can be easily discerned by anyone willing to spend a few minutes studying
> the management the company endured during the last 20 or so years of its
> existence.

Yes... so lets leave that fantastic fantasy out of further discussion. Obviously
Dan was off on a personal blueberry hike into the inner depths of his mind with
that one.

> And, second, I have said that I don't believe any form of backscale tuning
> will give the sustain increases you have claimed. A few months back you were
> claiming these increases to be between 300% to 500% (conservatively). I now
> see that you have apparently become a bit more conservative yourself and are
> only claiming increases of 100% to 300%. Even these figures I find
> astonishing. We currently have a Steinway A3 in the shop without a tuned
> backscale that has a usable sustain time at C-64 of between 12 and 15
> seconds (depending on how you measure sustain time). Even your more
> conservative claims would have this increasing to somewhere between 24
> seconds and 45 seconds just by tuning the backscale!

And to be fair... this is wanking the point out of any reasonble context as
well. Of course no one means their can be 45 seconds of sustain, which means Dan
is saying something else. So why not try and figure out what that something else
is instead of repeating this point ? What I dont understand is that Dan said
something about 3-4 seconds being increased to 8-9 or something along those
lines a couple days ago... Farrel responded, and tho I reacted I said nothing.
What (duplexed grand)  piano has a 3-4 second sustain for what notes ? Eh Dan ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.