an OT cautionary note to the OT folks

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 05:30:24 EST

 sarah writes:

>Be very careful what you say, either on list or in private email.  And
>brace yourself, because with the Homeland Security Act it will get much,
>much worse.

This is true, the collection and collation of information on American
citizens is set to reach unprecedented levels under this new legislation.
Information has value to those that want what others have, and this info will
certainly be sought after.
   It is difficult to still believe that the US is the "home of the brave"
when our leaders are telling us to "be afraid, be very afraid".  Is that what
being an American is, today?  Fear is a hugely powerful force, and it is now
being used as a political hammer to shape this society into something that
our forefathers and constitutional framers specifically attempted to prevent.
 If the public allows it, then it is richly deserved.  I think it was B.
Franklin that said, "Those who would trade their liberty to achieve security
deserve neither".
Regards,
Ed Foote