2 questions on tuning pins

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:54:46 -0800

Oops! Forgot to answer question #2! I put the olde pins in coffee cans
w/plastic lids. I use them for gluing up on surface situations, such as
installing soundboard shims. I put the plastic lid on the bottom for
"padding". They also make good door stops, etc. The really "odd" type pins,
that I remove from "antique" type pianos are sometimes used for individual
replacements on similar pianos. Back in the 70's we had an extreme shortage
of tuning pins, when US Steel quit making them. This caused me to experiment
with cleaning/bluing and sorting for re-use. TIFM, it aint worth the time.
<G>
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)