S&S D Duplex

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:52:55 -0500

Hi  Robin,

You're right, of course.  Yes, there is a true longitudinal wave, but I
don't think the "true" longitudinal wave has much importance, owing to the
infinitescimal longitudinal comliance of such a short length of spring
steel.  (It's a bit like the negligible bass response one would get from a
speaker a fraction of a mm in diameter, as the microscopic cone just
couldn't move much air.)

On the other hand, when the front segment of a string is displaced
transversely and the rear segment is not, then the bridge is pulled in the
direction of the tuning pins.  That's significant longitudinal movement (at
least in the sense of sound), and it is made possible only by the enormous
mechanical advantage in that system.  This phenomenon would be characterized
by a mixture of longitudinal and transverse waves, far more significant than
the longitudinal waves alone.  Add to this that transverse waves *must*
cross the bridge, as transverse bridge movement is driven by transverse
string movement.  I really question the importance of longitudinal waves
alone, even though I admit they are there.

Anyway, I've enjoyed your postings.  They have given me a few more insights
into string behavior -- not my specialty of acoustics, admittedly.  (My
specialization is more in the dispersion of airborne sound.)  We may
disagree or agree as to how vibrations traverse the bridge or how to
attribute the terminology, but I think we agree it happens.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Peace,
Sarah