calling etymologists was: Tuning & moving (frequently) OT

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 06:44:22 -0600

At 06:28 11/20/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Jean,  Shimming consist of inserting an object between two part that
>are usually together to either fill a gap or adjust spacing
>relationship or to prevent them from moving. A shim the object that
>you would put between these two parts.
>
>In french I would say shimming means "caler", and the shim would be
>"une cale".
>
>J'espère répondre à votre question.
>
>Marcel Carey, RPT
>Sherbrooke   QC

I just did a translation search and found that Collins doesn't have an
English>French translation, either. (I'll try Langensheit, Roger and
Larousse later.)

However, doing French>English...

Marcel's cale looks right. I found this under industrie automobile). Seems
to fit.

Déf. :
Pièce d'espacement (généralement en métal).
[Office de la langue française, 1986] .

I'm wondering,  are caul and cale from the same root?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)

-The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.