finish

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:48:47 -0600

Today I did some lube work on a Chichering grand. Color was a glossy
walnut or something similar. Owner ( lady ) is concerned about a glich
in the finish in the middle of the lid. You have to look at the lid at
an angle
in order to see it, but she knows it's there, so would like to do
something
about same. It looks like heat, or chemical( coke ) was dropped in that
spot, because
that's the place where the finish looks like it's lost its gloss,
possibly showing
bare wood thruout an area as large as maybe the size of a 25 cent piece.
Not
knowing much, ( understatement ) about finishes, I wasn't able to advise
her, except
to say that I thought maybe the whole lid might have to be refinished.
She used to sit a
crystal ornament on this spot, and I wonder if that was the reason for
the imperfection.
It's not a scratch, but gloss is missing. Personally, I think it's just
fine, but women have
a whole different slant on this kind of thing, don't they ? ? Will be
checking locally to
see if I can advise her better. Sure would appreciate input, because I'm
certain this
comes up more often than I'm aware of. Seems like a lot of worrying over
nothing
for this lady, considering the tuning was ugly when I first got there.
Much better now.
I think she would be farther ahead spending the money on a new set of
hammers, instead.
What do "we" know ? ?   Thanks .

Carl / Winnipeg