S&S D Duplex

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:59:25 EST

Robin and Sarah,

Your technical dialogue on the physics of vibrating strings is most erudite
and interesting to read. However, as you know piano tuning has a very
practical side in which actual practice  is the bottom line of any
discussion. So I will chip in a few more cents helping to relieve your cases
of duplexophobia.

1. It may be that your contemporary understanding of physics is greater than
that of Hermann Helmholtz and CFT Steinway, but it must be said that the
results of developing and incorporating  this feature have had tremendous
impact in the piano world.

2. From actual practice privately and in my PTG seminars as well as from
testimonials of established technicians who practice the tuning of duplex
scales, I can categorically state that when all other features such as
strings, hammers, board, action tuning are correct but the duplex is out of
tune, by tuning the duplex the sustain increases from 100 to 300%. That is a
tone that lasts 3 to 4 seconds after tuning the duplex scale will last from 6
to fifteen seconds.

I am encouraged by your interest, and wish to point out that it would take
less time to actually tune a duplex scale than to write (and for me, to READ)
 the dissertations. But you'll never collect $200. if you don't get past GO.

Good luck,
Dan Franklin