softening wippen cushions

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:49:13 -0800

Why not just change the cloth.  It doesn't take that long and the results
will be more long lasting.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 19, 2002 6:21 PM
Subject: softening wippen cushions

List,

I have a Feurich 190 Grand with a lot of clack on release.  I pulled one
wippen and needled the cushion.  Noise dramatically reduced.  Question:  Has
anyone tried Downy or steam on these babies?  I noticed that the hammer
level was raised slightly with the needling fluffing up the cloth so I'm
wondering what softeners might do.  I'd have to completely dry the cushions
before reassembling the action or I suppose cupping would occur from the
capstan?  That would be a drawback...needles might be quicker...does any of
this last very long?

David I.