softening wippen cushions

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:21:12 -0800

List,

I have a Feurich 190 Grand with a lot of clack on release.  I pulled one wippen and needled the cushion.  Noise dramatically reduced.  Question:  Has anyone tried Downy or steam on these babies?  I noticed that the hammer level was raised slightly with the needling fluffing up the cloth so I'm wondering what softeners might do.  I'd have to completely dry the cushions before reassembling the action or I suppose cupping would occur from the capstan?  That would be a drawback...needles might be quicker...does any of this last very long?

David I.