When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:59:37 -0500

Please explain for me John. I do not understand - it seems you are speaking of some definitive legality associated with the Steinway name that does not exist with Ford or Chevrolet.

John M. wrote:

> So for what it's worth, my answer to the question of when is a Steinway
> still a Steinway is that if there is little or no trademark infringement in
> a quality rebuild regardless of whether all the replacement parts come out
> of a Steinway box then it's still a Steinway. Remove, degrade or
> significantly alter the designs and it becomes less of a Steinway and more
> something else. If that is the case and you wish to continue to use their
> trademark you're apparently obliged to play by their rules and document it
> on the instrument somewhere, a practice I would encourage people to adopt
> anyway.

Does Steinway have some sort of legal protection/restriction regarding use of their name when selling a used piano originally made by them that an automobile manufacturer does not have (and I'm not aware of any that the auto maker would have)? If I sell my '92 Ford - regardless of any modifications I have done to it, it goes in the classifieds as a Ford. I am not obliged (as far as I know) to anyone to divulge any information regarding modifications (I think it might be polite & ethical, certainly). I have no legal expertise - I'm simply trying to understand this whole thing. It sounds amazing to me. Specifically, what Steinway "rules" do I need to play by if I modify a Steinway piano and want to call it a Steinway, and what legal authority is involved?

Terry Farrell