When is a Steinway still a Steinway

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:18:11 -0600

John:

I do think that any substantial changes should be noted to the buyer
just for plain honesty.  The to-modify-or-not-to-modify thing is --
in my mind -- unresolvable.  I've seen "rebuilt" Steinways come out
of Steinway stores that had all Genuine Steinway parts but were
dreadful instruments.  On the trademark issue, there would be nothing
they could do.  Would they go after a rebuilder that "modified" the
piano but in so doing made the piano much better?  I really wish this
issues could be formerly declared by the parties involved, but I
doubt that Steinway would publish anything that had a very wide
latitude.  Probably the only definitive answer to this question will
come when someone gets sued by Steinway for Trade Mark infringement,
and the whole thing runs through the legal system.  I, frankly, don't
want to be the guy that makes the test case!  That's expensive!!!!!!

dave

On 11/19/2002 at 1:39 PM John Musselwhite wrote:

>At 10:43 AM 18/11/02 -0600, Dave wrote:
>
>>Has Ford ever sued someone for customizing, souping up, and
>>personalizing their Ford?
>
>Non sequitur, Dave. Steinways are not Fords and pianos are not cars
or
>violins. The world of automotive planned obsolescence is very
different
>from the concert stage or music room. "Souping up" cars is
traditional and
>in things like stock car racing a vehicle may carry a maker's badge
even
>if
>it doesn't really have any of their parts on it. There is no
ambiguity
>because it is what people expect. Automakers even encourage it to
some
>degree because it may mean you'll buy a new car sooner.
>
>However, let's say someone is buying old Rolls Royce bodies and
somehow
>sticking them on Ford chassis and is selling them as "Rolls Royce"
>automobiles. You can bet there will be lawsuits flying all over the
place.
>Even in the case of "replicars" they have to be careful to make them

>dissimilar enough to get around any trademark infringements.
>
>The Steinway situation under discussion seems to be the opposite in
that
>since people often buy pianos "for life" the factory wants you to
make
>them
>similar enough in a rebuild to keep their trademarks intact. The
issue
>doesn't seem to be as much about what you do to the piano, just how
you
>use
>the trademark. By my reading they even give you permission to
continue
>using their trademark if you choose to do something different as
long as
>you document what you did on the instrument. While some people might

>consider this to be heavy-handed there is the potential for a lot of
fraud
>out there that must be addressed, and this is one way to do it.
>
>>I have a "B" for sale now that has all Renner action parts, a
>>non-Steinway sounding board
>>and I'm not concerned about a lawsuit.  I
>>have made a list of everything that is in the piano that I will
pass
>>on to the buyer so that there will be no doubt as to what is
actually
>>in the instrument.
>
>Here is my take on this whole issue.  If the work involves
refinements or
>renewal of the original structure such as replacing key pins and
bushings,
>moving bridges slightly or shaping replacement ribs a little
differently
>fit an individual instrument better then it's still being faithful
to the
>original "standard". Major deviations from "standard" should be
>permanently
>documented in the piano somewhere.
>
>The crux of the matter is that Steinway has issued an official
policy as
>regards their trademarks which courts have to take into account if
it
>comes
>up for any reason. From what I understand it's there more as a
statement
>on
>record to help legally protect the value of their name and
trademarks than
>as a way to prevent serious technicians from altering or improving
the
>instruments. If they don't defend their trademarks every way they
can, who
>will?
>
>In a later message Robert Goodale mentioned:
>
>>If a technician installs Able hammers on a Steinway at the owner
request
>>does this void the warranty?  Probably not.
>
>It probably would unless permission was sought from the factory
>beforehand.
>Factories can be sticky about the use of any non-authorized parts
during
>the warranty period regardless of what they build.
>
>>Without regard to this if the sound board develops a crack six
months
>>later is Steinway still obligated to fix it?
>
>I can't speak for them but unless their policy has changed in the
last few
>years there is no warranty on the board at all insofar as cracks are

>concerned. Steinway at one time even put out a pamphlet explaining
that
>cracks and compression ridges were not unusual and were of little
concern.
>There was a big stink about this years ago, but I don't remember how
or if
>it was resolved.
>
>>2.  German Steinways use Rennor actions already.
>
>They use Steinway actions with Renner parts hung on them. There's a
big
>difference. Changing out NY parts for Renners isn't really a major
change
>in the execution of the design, though it may affect the warranty if
it's
>within the first five years. Changing the whole action out to a
Renner
>style might be considered to be major though since the tubular
action is
>so
>much a part of what a Steinway is. In that case it would be a
"Steinway
>with a Renner action" rather than a "Steinway".
>
>>Just because a different technician installed it and used a
different
>>table saw to cut the ribs, does this mean the piano is no longer a
>Steinway?
>
>Not to me at least, but if that different technician redesigns the
board
>with a totally different rib layout and perhaps adds a Wapin(tm)
bridge
>and
>rescales it to boot then it is radically different from Steinway's
>intention. It may be a better piano afterwards, but it goes into the

>territory of trademark infringement since some of the things that
>originally made the piano a "Steinway" are no longer there. Steinway
can't
>stop someone from doing that, but they should be within their legal
rights
>to prevent that technician from using the Steinway trademark against
their
>wishes.
>
>So for what it's worth, my answer to the question of when is a
Steinway