"Who sells 3/4" POINTED Bridge Pins"/Ron

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 06:59:46 -0600

>I've been told too that the Epoxy is not known for its sound
>conduction capacities. Particularely when driven in the wood, the
>effect may well be the dampening of some higher partials when used.

You're not conducting sound (as such) in a bridge. You're coupling string
movement to the soundboard. The string moves the bridge, the bridge moves
the soundboard (and the rear duplex). The more firmly the pin is bedded in
the bridge cap at, and just below the top surface, the better the coupling.
Epoxy works very well, as does CA.

>I like the idea of brass for its lubricant capacities, but it may be a
>little soft metal maybe (but I undestand it is way less soft than iron
>of capo bar)

Depends on the brass, depends on the iron. There's an overlap in hardness
ranges. Brass bridge pins I find in pianos tend to be bigger in diameter
than steel.

>I can use stainsless pins, rounded, do anyone have some idea about it
>?

Ron Overs has tried stainless.

>Very hard to file without warming a lot.

Didn't you say "rounded"? Why would you need (or want) to file them?

Ron N