Pulling Some Strings

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:30:54 -0400

Hi Alan,
A tool can be made with a tubular curtain rod. Just drill two holes in the end, bend the wire and thread it through the two holes, pull the ends of the wire out the end, leaving a loop. Put the curtain rod with the wire behind the bass strings, hook the loop over the pin, and pull the rod up. The two holes keep the wire from twisting, grab the wires before they come out of the rod, keeping them in place, then put on the pins.
Another idea, is if the string has broken at the becket, or close to it, just splice a new piece on, from the selection of 6" pieces, you carry. (Or should carry)
I save all the ends from bass restringing, they give me the larger sizes for splicing the odd bass string, that breaks on an older piano. You know, the ones that the people don't want to restring, and one new string, will stand out tonally.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alan R. Barnard
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 10:54 PM
  Subject: Pulling Some Strings

  Any tips for replacing plain wire strings, tenor section, under the bass strings, with the appropriate bridge section also under the bass strings and directly behind the bottom rail on a drop action (sticker wires) piano?

  The customer was nice enough to hold flashlight, hold the wire ends and above, etc. No problem getting the lower end down and onto the pin (used the ol' safety pin trick) and, actually, getting the strings on the bridge properly was not too bad (thin screwdriver and thin needle-nosed pliers). But those danged wires want to cross each other every which way and tangle up with the stupid dampers ..... ooog. Had them on, under the pressure bar, coiled and then ... only when I started tensioning the second one did I find out they were still crossed ....

  I'd hate to remove & replace a drop action just for one silly string ....

  Good part! This lady (senior citizen) gave me a bag of home made cookies on my last visit. This time, she called to her husband, who was "helping" me do some surgery on her piano, and me, to come to lunch---roast beef, mashed potatoes & gravy, veggies, rolls, cole slaw, cranberry sauce, carrot cake, and ice cream. Delicious dinner, delightful people.

  Now if their 1974 Conover would stop beating me up every time I visit ...

  Alan Barnard
  Life Can Be Sweet in Salem, MO (although the piano is in West Plains)

  (Hey David Vanderhoofven: This is the job you referred to me. For the people, thanks; for the piano ... well, I'll get even somehow!!! :-)