Pulling Some Strings

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:33:45 -0800

At 08:54 PM 11/18/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Any tips for replacing plain wire strings, tenor section, under the bass
>strings, with the appropriate bridge section also under the bass strings
>and directly behind the bottom rail on a drop action (sticker wires) piano?

I've used the Stringer and it works, only sometimes it won't fit quite
where it's needed without bending it.

In a pinch I've folded a section of newspaper over the doubled wire, and
slid it along between the bass and treble strings, which keeps the new wire
from slipping through them.

I once turned a hook on the broken end of the old string, and hooked it
through the hitch pin bend of the new string, then pulled the old string
out from the bottom. It did get the new string down to where it needed to
be, but the hook tended to get caught here and there.