When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:27:57 -0500

At 12:28 PM -0800 11/18/02, David Ilvedson wrote:
>Hey, if Steinway owns Kluge, why can't they finish the set of keys
>after the bellywork has been done, i.e. plate fitted etc.  Seems to
>me if they would set the balance rail after they've found the
>capstan line a lot of action problems could be solved in one fell
>swoop...

Steinway NY doesn't know where the capstan line is going to fall
until the belly is complete. I don't know the minute details of the
factory's assembly steps, but I'd bet there are a few point before
the location of the capstan where a keyboard and keyframe with only
front mortises and pins installed would be a real pain in the neck.

Then there's the business of sending the key frames and boards back
to Kluge, each with individual specifications for the front-to-back
location  for drilling the board and balance rail.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Filing the bridgepins sure puts a sparkle on the restringing, but is
best done before the plate is re-installed"
     ...........shop journal entry