S&S D Duplex

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:21:41 -0500

At 5:01 PM -0500 11/17/02, Sarah Fox wrote:
>Hopefully the parallels to the duplex scale are obvious
>here.  Where possible, it seems best to correct the tuning, rather than to
>kill the sound.

 From the sound of it (npi!), the tuning of a duplex wouldn't do much
to the overall sound emanating, simply change the frequencies which
the rear duplex section was contributing from non-harmonic to
harmonic. What would really interest me is finding that when first
partials in the speaking length and the duplex length have a harmonic
relationship, that this accordance allows the standing waves on
either side of the bridge to stand longer. But I'm not finding
anything either in my experience or in the discussions on the list
which suggests that.

>Just because Mr. Steinway got a patent
>doesn't mean he understood the acoustics of his invention.

An interesting comment.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music