When is a Steinway still a Steinway

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:43:53 -0600

There was an article in the Journal a couple of years ago that took
the most extreme possible position on this issue.  Sometime later a
more balanced view was presented and the first article somewhat
refuted.  If you go to case law, does anyone know of a person who has
been successfully sued for "modifying" or "improving" a Steinway?
Has Ford ever sued someone for customizing, souping up, and
personalizing their Ford?

I have a "B" for sale now that has all Renner action parts, a
non-Steinway sounding board and I'm not concerned about a lawsuit.  I
have made a list of everything that is in the piano that I will pass
on to the buyer so that there will be no doubt as to what is actually
in the instrument.  To me, rebuilding a piano and not making it the
best it can be is foolish.  Not only that, there were some parts that
I needed that Steinway didn't sell -- i.e. it had 0.162" balance rail
pins.  Steinway doesn't supply them so I got them from Pianotek.

dave