When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:22:35 -0600

>What obligation do we have as technicians in such situations?
>
>David Love

Some more thoughts. If this is really a concern, there's always the option
of reproducing what was originally there, within reason. I would at least
suggest a new string scale and crowned rib set , re-calibrated as
necessary, with soundboard replacement. It won't make the piano look
different to most folks, but will minimize some of the inherent problems.

The other side of this is that the rebuilder's good work and fine
performance result will be credited to Steinway if it sounds good, and to
him if it doesn't.

Ron N