Belly rail crown - Why???

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:36:50 -0600

Hi Ron,

Just for an illustration of how far off that spherically crowned board is
that we've been taught is our goal, compute the rise of a 60' radius arc
segment along the  longest dimension of the board at each rib position.
Then compute the required radius of each rib crown from that height. It's
an interesting and enlightening one time exercise.

I'd say forget spherical crown, since it isn't likely to be obtainable in a
real piano whatever you do. If you use positively crowned ribs, you'll have
a positively crowned assembly. The fact that it is crowned across the panel
grain will mean that it will be crowned along the grain too when it's glued
to the rim. That's not hard to obtain, it's nearly impossible to avoid.
It's dished, just not spherical. This is a result, not a feature. Now
consider how it's possible to reconcile the necessity of a flat wooden
panel that has been forced into the compound curve of a dished crown with
the requirement that it be free of stress. It's nonsense. Of course the
panel will be stressed. Spherical crown, stress free panel assembly, and
compression crowning all seem to come from about the same era, or at any
rate were and still are presented to us as compatible concepts. But how is
it that a panel that's dried down to below 4%MC, glued to flat ribs which
resist crown formation when the panel re-hydrates, resulting in a system
that, when under string bearing load, requires the panel to be very near
it's 580psi cross grain compression limit to function, isn't under stress?
The wood can be literally crushed by crown formation and string load
support requirements, but mustn't be flexed slightly to lay down on a flat
belly bar? Nonsense again.

So I'd say you're right to not worry about it. Nothing you would be likely
to do during assembly would put nearly the stress on a panel that the old
compression crowning techniques do. So as you said, I'd be most concerned
about flexibility perpendicular to the bridge, worrying about impedance
matching and letting the contradictory stuff go. I'd make the rim the same
height all around too.
Ron N