Soundboard Stains

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:44:46 -0500

I have noticed a number of older piano soundboards that have a portion of darker coloration (darker brown) to them. The darker color appears as streaks/blotches and does not follow grain, i.e. this is clearly not a trasition to heartwood. I trust this coloration was not present when the instrument was new. It has the appearance of a fungus-like development, but I really don't think fungus is the culpret. Don't have a clue otherwise though. Any thoughts?

Terry Farrell