S&S D Duplex

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:17:14 -0600

Hi Dan,

I don't think anyone on the list has any "axe" to grind against tuning
duplexes. Thanks for mentioning your article from 1995--I'll look it up today.

So all of these folks have "done it" but none of them have tested before
and after with say a stop watched for dwell time? And none of these
worthies has looked at the sound spectrum before and after? If so, that's
very sad.

I wish someone would take two nearly identical pianos. Tune the duplex on
one by lowering the pitch as you recommend. On the other merely lower the
pitch and then *not* move the duplex. Then compare before and after times
on both instruments, as well as real time analyser data.

Another possible test would be one piano measured then tuned, then
measured, then detuned and measured again.

At 01:50 AM 11/17/02 EST, you wrote:
>List, Duplex Scale testing
>
>Who knows about it and who has done it?
>Here are a few names for reference.
>
>Angelo Morizio, S&S belly factory foreman, Kent Webb, Eric Schandell, Jude
>Revel (boston) Rick Baldassin ( Fazioli) Wally Brooks (voicer of piano in
>Vermont)_ Webb {hillips (rebuilder of piano in Pa.) Kalman Detrich Carl
>Demler, Gordon Russell.....
>
>But nobody and no references will substitute for your own experience. The
>only antidote for duplexophobia is practice. you've got to do it yourself if
>you are going to find your own answer.
>
>DanFranklin

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.