SAMA Piano Rebuilders

Nichols nicho@cybermesa.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 07:16:00 -0700

Philip,
     SAMA is run by Salvador Ortiz, who was with Baldwin for 29 years as
plant manager in Juarez, Mexico (across from El Paso) . It is an
American-owned company, operating a Maquila (twin) plant. They are
remanufacturing number one thousand, thirty-something this week, along with
about seven others. They service a lot of dealers, nationwide.
     Three years ago, the mix of instruments was about 90% "no-name" to 10%
major brand. Now, with production at about 1.6 pianos a day, the mix is
about 90% Steinway to 10% Baldwin/Mason/etc. Plus various verticals,
although the verts are mainly in for finish.
     The numbers speak for themselves, and... yes, some customers have had
issues that had to be corrected. SAMA is a plant, not a shop, but they do
stand behind their work . Shipping is reasonable, with Keyboard, and
turn-around time is, well, not as fast as they would like, but not too bad,
considering.
     Terry (bless his heart) mentions finding a more reputable rebuilder.
If you've got somebody in your area with more experience, by all means, use
them. The marketing office where your flyer came from has references.
     I am the "tech consultant" for SAMA, and do receive compensation for
my services, so please accept my opinion with that in mind. Most dealers
and technicians find that the services provided by SAMA are a good value,
for the money, and allow them to catch-up on backlogs and also allow for a
modest profit on instruments that might not be otherwise economically viable.
     Any questions or concerns of a technical nature can be directed at me.
Also, tours are welcome.

Regards,
Guy Nichols, RPT