S&S D Duplex

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 07:01:07 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <Duplexdan@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: S&S D Duplex

> Paul,
>
>> In the past fifteen years a great deal of technology and experience by
> technicians worldwide has proven the value of tuning the duplex scale. I
will
> be glad to provide any information I have and supply you with the tools to
do
> the job, if you elect to go this route.
>
> Dan Franklin, RPT
> Inventor of the Duplex Slider
> US Patent 5,736,660
> Email: Duplexdan@aol.com
> Tel 212.677.5760

Dan and others:
Thanks for the thoughts on S&S D duplex.  About the only time I've
experimented with tuning the duplex is during the restringing process, being
careful to note where the original was set.  Usually, I can make some
improvements.  This piano is played by a concert pianist, who bought the
instrument new, not noticing the muted duplexes but also not happy with the
diminished power/tone in the 5th and 6th octaves. I don't know the history
of the service to the piano, but my guess is that someone trying the piano
before this man bought it, did not like something about the tone and a tech
tried a quick fix and it was left.  He reacted favorably to the change when
I removed one strip, but is cautious about any more change.  It is my
intention to address these muted sections before hanging new hammers and I'm
looking for some suggestions for improvements.  I would appreciate any
information you have and techniques you use to tune the duplexes, especially
in this piano.
Thank you, and thanks to all for your replies.

Paul Chick