S&S D Duplex

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:52:18 EST

Bradley,

Your comment that S&S  "almost never come out of the factory with the
duplexes tuned" may have to be modified, because lately a great deal of
attention is being paid to tuning the duplexes both in Hamburg and in New
York. However, due to settling and other factors it can not be denied that a
number of new pianos emanating from the factory could use adjustment. I think
it shows great respect and perception on your part to acknowledge that you
agree with CFT STeinway  that duplexes in tune contribute to good tone.

Regarding the relative value of tuning the duplex, however, I would suggest
to you that no perfection in regulation or voicing can compensate or obviate
a defect in the tuning of the duplex scale, just as no perfection in the
tuning of a duplex scale can compensate for a set of crownflattened hammers.
(e.g.)  All elements must collaborate for a piano to achieve its maximum
potential touch and tone.

Dan Franklin