Una Corda Blues

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:13:30 -0600

>Attention all expert and experienced grand regulators: ... Alan Barnard ...

Not claiming to an expert here, but here might be some useful information:

>  Almost new Chinese-made Steck small grand. Seems a very nice piano
>but the Una Corda won't regulate -- you can have it correct for the
>bass or for the tenor/treble, not both.
>
>Questions:
>
>1. Assume best to regulate for tenor/treble then shift bichord bass
>hammer angles slightly to regulate ... yes?

Since you said above you can have it correct for the tenor/treble, I
would choose that. It probably would be best for me to mention, if
you do relocate the position of the bass hammers, others items are
bound to be affected to some degree, knuckle to wippen relationship
and related adjustments should be checked.

>  2. Do we want the trichords to completely miss one string or have
>that string just knicked by the hammer?

The general rule of practice is to miss completely one string when
the shift pedal is fully engaged, but not all piano manufactures
recommend this.

>  (Troublemaker's question: Why the term una corda, when we are
>really striking duo corda?)

As I understand the term, it became in use when there were only two
strings per note in the early years of piano making.

>3. Likewise, do we want the bichords to become monochords with the
>pedal depressed, or have the hammer just knick the second string?

Some recommendations call for missing one string when the shift pedal
is fully engaged, and others recommend adjusting the bass hammers to
be able to strike both strings whether the shift pedal is fully
engaged or not.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731