Una Corda Blues

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:09:49 -0600

Hi Alan,
                  I dislike the term una corda, but alas we are stuck with it.
Shift pedal would better describe it. since in todays use, it is primarily
used to shift the colour of tone. ( move to a softer part of the hammer)
On a well regulated grand, it should be able to play the softest of ppp,
with out the aid of a pedal.
If you have to make a choice between left and right hand, go with the right
since that is where most tunes are played.

At 08:45 PM 11/13/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Attention all expert and experienced grand regulators:
>
>Almost new Chinese-made Steck small grand. Seems a very nice piano but the
>Una Corda won't regulate -- you can have it correct for the bass or for
>the tenor/treble, not both.
>
>Questions:
>
>1. Assume best to regulate for tenor/treble then shift bichord bass hammer
>angles slightly to regulate ... yes?

Yes

>2. Do we want the trichords to completely miss one string or have that
>string just knicked by the hammer? (Troublemaker's question: Why the term
>una corda, when we are really striking duo corda?)

The first string just misses by a hair. this will give max range for half
peddling.

>3. Likewise, do we want the bichords to become monochords with the pedal
>depressed, or have the hammer just knick the second string?

It's quite acceptable to have the bottom string just clipping on the bi chords.

If you have to really move the bass hammers to align to strings, remember
to realign the wippens.  There is a good diagram in our interactive
regulation series to show how all the components align, and how to adjust
each part.

Regards Roger