Una Corda Blues

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:45:03 -0600

Attention all expert and experienced grand regulators:

Almost new Chinese-made Steck small grand. Seems a very nice piano but =
the Una Corda won't regulate -- you can have it correct for the bass or =
for the tenor/treble, not both.

Questions:

1. Assume best to regulate for tenor/treble then shift bichord bass =
hammer angles slightly to regulate ... yes?

2. Do we want the trichords to completely miss one string or have that =
string just knicked by the hammer? (Troublemaker's question: Why the =
term una corda, when we are really striking duo corda?)

3. Likewise, do we want the bichords to become monochords with the pedal =
depressed, or have the hammer just knick the second string?

Thank you ever so much,

Alan Barnard
Shifting Keys in Salem, MO